Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Painting my wagon
Before heading westward some in our country painted their wagons. Today I am headed west. My wagon has no fresh coat of paint. It is an Amtrak train. I have longed for this journey; dreamt of it, and now I am one hour away from my destination, Grand Junction, Colorado.

As the train trudges forward miles and miles of ever changing land and skylines entertain me. Not as a movie or some humorous story would. It reminds me why I came here, and why I stay. I am in love with Colorado. I've known some sizzilg romances, but when I see another mountain range, all those brief old encounters pale.

I am older now. Never imagined living my last years surrounded by this splendor. I like the sound, the ring of it,The Grand Valley. What I'm staring out the window at today differs from the snow capped peaks I gazed at from Denver.

I lean back in my seat and feel a peaceful calm. The only stress of this journey is the getting to and from the train's rest rooms, as it unexpectedly lurches forward, or jerks almost to a stop while navagating a curve.

Usually I am patient, but not today. Many times I've looked at my watch. Soon I will see my daughter and her family again. Today I will meet a great grandson, but I am a stranger to him. Will he cry? I don't want to frighten him.

To bear my eagerness I think of what I've seen today; Changing mountains and their unpredictable streams. Kayakers challenging rapids that easily seem stronger than they. Beaver dams pounding waters cannot take apart. I notice a few campers are flying flags, and remember that this is Memorial Day weekend. I had forgotten.

A sping calf lopes across an otherwise empty meadow. Is it lost and looking for its mother? Something about the little calf out there alone brings me back to the present. I close my eyes and wonder how many years my daughter and I will get to share. How long will I see my great grandson grow? Who will my new friends be? Which nursing home will I work in?

I check my watch again. It is a while before we arrive. I close my eyes and whisper a prayer. I've said several today. I thank God for bringing me to this place. I thank Him for the job He already knows I will find. I thank my Lord for daughters and sons who love me so much. A few tears fall and trickle down my face. If other passengers notice, it doesn't matter.

I am not ready to be old and helpless, like the patients I take care of. Approaching wrinkles and aging spots, and slightly gnarled fingers, not even a slowed step defines me. As long as I live my heart will be young enough to sing.

A voice sounds from the train's speaker system: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are ahead of schedule. In five minutes we will reach Grand junction. Those getting off the train, please get ready to depart."

I take off my watch and slip it in a pocket. As the train comes to a full stop I gather my jacket and bags, and stand. Under my breath I am singing, "Got a dream boy, got a song".......... Finally, I am here.

  posted at 8:30 AM  
  10 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: