Monday, November 06, 2006
#4. At Home, Somewhere.
The long brown envelopes Mama kept sending me to the mail box for finally arrived, but not before she had to find other ways to feed us. She'd come home from work and dump change out of her pockets. Nickels, dimes, and sometimes quarters. But we still ate a lot of macaroni and cheese. For a long time I thought I'd never eat it again.

One night help seemingly arrived, in the form of a handsome Cherokee Indian. I don't know where Mama found him and his armloads of groceries, but we ate better than we had, in a long, long time.

One day Mama was gone next door. I was somewhere in the house, and the next thing I knew I was on a bed, under the big Indian, and he was pulling my panties off. The only thing that kept him from raping me was the sound of my Mother's footsteps at the door. I can still remember the hot, sour smell of his breath. I was so afraid, but he wouldn't let me go. I tried telling Mom how he held me down. Maybe she didn't understand, but my Aunt did, and she took me home with her. After a while I was back with my Grand Ma again.

Uncle Bill was drafted, and went to Germany to fight. Granny would get letters from him with big sections cut out. When I asked why, she said those parts were censored. When I asked what censored meant, she said Uncle Bill shouldn't write about when he might come home, or where we lived. I couldn't see it hurt to tell anybody we were way off out in the backwoods, a long ways from Houston.

After my father joined the Navy, I seldom saw him. Years later when I did, he talked about being part of the D Day Invasion of Normany, like he had done a great thing.
I understood that we had to win the war, but if he'd stayed home, he could have been my hero. I needed him to be a hero for me.

  posted at 10:37 PM  
  3 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: