Wednesday, July 04, 2007
A Birthday Reminder
Because I was born on this day of the year that so represents our country, when it comes around again, I celebrate not only surviving 365 more days of life, but this one of a kind, no other like it anywhere in the world, United States of America.

I don't always celebrate in the usual style, by slicing a cake, and letting someone sing Happy Birthday to me. At the risk of seeming a little odd, I honestly prefer a good old Texas water melon, to all those carbs in a pretty cake.

I also do something else a little differently. While most folks make resolutions at the start of a calendar year, I like to review the one that's leaving, and promise myself some improvement in the days ahead.

But this year I'm especially nostalgic, not only for growing older, but remembering part of the past, and the best place I could find to do this was in old history books. Do you realize that about eighty years ago women were not allowed to vote? And closer to our modern time, females didn't hold secretarial jobs. Eventually they were allowed to help elect our leaders, and World War II changed the work scene much, by allowing the weaker sex to build ships.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. What I started to say is when birthdays come around, I make resolutions to live the next one better than the last. I don't kid myself about losing twenty pounds, or saving more money, or breaking old habits, like stopping smoking. I've already done some of those things. What I'm aiming for now is more nonascetic, like taking time to gaze at more sunsets, and eat ice cream more often. I also feel a growing need to choose a different kind of work. Good workers shouldn't be burdened with unreasonable bosses. My number one resolution this time around is to find one who isn't. Do you sense a little of my fierce independence surfacing here.

Life must be more than working and eating, and paying the rent, but it costs. The bounty our country offers all of us does have a price. Before this fourth of July ends, more fine young American men and even some women may pour out their blood to protect yours and mine. A soldier said it best: Freedom isn't free." We need to appreciate that. One way to do it is to get soldiers' addresses from a post daughter, Barb, at A Chelsea Morning, shared today, and send them care packages.


Times like this we read many quotes from our history, especially from The Declaration of Independence. But I think we need to remember what those who signed it said, and handed to us to keep safe for future generations. A small group of people barely surviving in an untamed land, lay their courage on the ground against the power of the English Crown. This is what they said:

And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, WE MUTALLY PLEDGE To EACH OTHER OUR LIVES, OUR FORTUNES, AND OUR SACRED HONOR."

Happy Birthday my America.

  posted at 10:50 AM  
  8 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: