Saturday, May 19, 2007
Things That Go Bump In The Night.
This was the start of three days off work, so I was most happy about that, as I poured morning coffee, and returned to the computer to savor time off. But only one cup of the hot brown stuff is never enough, so I went back to the kitchen for more, and noticed a paper stuck under my door.

Twice now the apartment manager has had to reschedule resurfacing the parking areas here, so I thought the paper was about that. It wasn't. It read:

"All apartment residents:

Three of the laundry rooms and vending machines were broken into last night. The individual responsible for this was seen by several residents. His description is:"

(to avoid seeming racist about this, I won't mention particular race)

"A male, 5' 11 - 6 feet, about 180 pounds, Hair in dreadlocks, and carrying a backpack."

The apt. manager added: "The backpack probably contains the crowbar he is using to open the locks."

By now I was wider awake, but I poured more coffee any way. and then checked to see if my son who lives nearby had gotten one of the notices, and he had. So I tried not to dwell on this too much. We know that laws are broken every day, we just don't think they'll happen to us.

So the day moved on, and a friend invited me to shop with her, and we did, and as always, enjoyed running errands tyogether, and were about to head back home, when she rememberd some items she'd need the next day, so we found a store that stays open late, and looked for them there, and as we walked back towards the car, noticed a young, tall man, who to me seemed a little nervous.

Later, when we disected the situation more, things we hadn't noticed much, became more clear. My friend was busily putting packages into the side of the car, while I was still more at the rear of the car. I had noticed the man get out of a truck across from where we'd parked, and I felt a strange chill as he headed toward me. Later we'd realize he probably hadn't noticed my friend at the side of the car.

Before he even spoke, I already didn't believe him. He still seemed antsy, as he said he'd run out of gas, and could we give him a quarter to make call, and that he'd been waiting two hours for his Dad. None of this made sense. The store would have let him use a phone, and how often do people run out of gas in a parking lot, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

But my friend knew what to do. Every time he spoke, she said, each time getting louder, "we don't have money to give you", as if to dismiss him, until finally he left, as if he was looking for someone else.

I am sure if I'd been alone I might have been mugged. He was after my purse. "You were an easy target," she said. "He was coming in on you", And then she added, "You don't shop this late at night by yourself, do you?" To which I promised not just her, but myself, I'd be much more careful and aware from now on, when I'm going any place.

When we got home, we didn't hop right out of the car. After all, there was a big theft here last night. So we stayed in the car, and used the cell phone to call my son, who hurried over to help bring stuff in from the car.

We talked a little before they left, and as they went out the door, my friend spoke in an almost motherly tone, and said" "Lock that door!". To which I thought "Yes Mam!" That was the second time I heard love spoken tonight. I am very clear it sounded like love.

This particular night I wasn't wearing my shrill sounding whistle, but I'll remember to next time, and I put the phone number for the police right by my phone, and I guess it's time to use that ugly fanny pak again, and not cram it full of important legal papers and cards.

How I wish we didn't have to live around lowlife scumbags who steal under the night's cover, and single out victims less able to defend themselves, to take advantage of. But we do have to share this planet with them, and perhaps what weakens us most is our thinking it can't happen to us. It can.

Please pray that whoever's breaking into the laundry rooms here is soon caught.

  posted at 1:59 AM  
  8 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: