Thursday, March 29, 2007
What's In A Book.
While reading "Call Me Grandma Dawn's" post tonight, a thought began to swirl in my book loving head. She mentioned reading lots of them, some even twice, and I so understand. As I'm putting these words together, close beside me, lined up in a little stack are ones I brought home tonight.

In the past, but not lately, if I got more than one new book at a time, I'd think I should be at least a little contrite. But no more. In life, affairs can cause a lot of trouble, but the one I'm in, God Himself would approve of. It began long ago, when someone put a book in my hands.

For a long time I thought my love of them was only about reading, but it's more. Not much cheers me the way I feel in a bookstore, or the library. Surrounded by all those stories of the world, I am more rich than anyone. I need, no, I must hold one of them in my hands.

Some time ago the face of books began to change. Like the first color seen in The Wizard Of Oz, they are all dressed up now, and getting prettier. A whole new concept is coloring the world. I hope our electronic age doesn't blindside it. Talking books, and television, even the computer, can teach the children much, but it can't create imagination like holding a book can, and forming the stories in their heads. The wildest infatuation couldn't conjure up more.

These are the books I found today. Like a new dress they should fit who it's for. A close friend in the Lord, will enjoy "Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul." She won't even care it's copyrighted ten years ago.

I think I'll give this one at Easter, but it could be for other times as well. In our church is a mother with three little boys. How she gets them there, and keeps them toned down , I'm not sure. How she will make time to read, I wonder even more, but this book has encapsulated parts, so maybe she'll read some. It's the NIV Mom's Devotional Bible.

Whoever titled this one knew how to get readers' attention. It is "Wild Things Happen When I Pray." It's especially recommended for evangelists. There's a new couple in our church. The husband's already helping with teaching. One or both of them might enjoy it.

I am not totally unselfish. "Living in the Comfort Zone", only 194 pages exactly fits me. It's offered for psychology/relationships/self-help. As I said, it fits me perfectly.

Our church's women's ministry pairs us together so we can know each other better, and we give each other thoughtful little presents, depending on what each of us wrote about ourselves. The lady whose name I got said she needs to read more, soooooo, one I got for her is "More Stories for the Heart." Wise and talented people, like Billy Graham, Chuck Swindoll, and Max Lucado contributed to it. Alice Gray did this book, a sequel to her first, "Stories for the Heart". Its short segments should encourage reading.

This last of the books I found today, I planned to give to someone. But I'm not sure I can.... in fact I know I can't. It's the oldest of the six I brought home, "On The Anvil", by Max Lucado. ed Its pages seem darkened, and on the very first one is written "Find a cozy spot. Sip a favorite coffee....." "In this quick to read little volume are treasures for a life time" and it's signed "Be blessed and know how much you are loved! Mom".

Usually I'm not a precise and detailed person. More often I'm busy even when I'm not, thinking how to turn words into something. but I happened to read who this book was dedicated to; Lucado's parents, and that got me to thinking. Don't parents generally get the dedication honor for first editions?

I was curious to know, and saw in the book's Foreword that his writing began with local church bulletin articles, and spread to farther areas. A friend encoraged Lucado to try publication, but he thought himself too busy, so didn't, until he lived in Brazil. Finally, he rewrote earlier articles.

Not knowing lists of publishers, he found addresses in his library and mailed them copies. He sent out fifteen. Six were returned unopened, Six at least opened, but not accepted. Only three showed interest One of them, Tyndale House sent Lucado a contract for "On The Anvil."

There are many more books at the exclusive place I shop, a thrift store called Savers. Hardbacks go for about three dollars. The non hardbacks only two bucks. On Wednesdays seniors get twenty percent off, so the half dozen cost less than twelve dollars. I can shop for hours, and still make it to Bible Study next Wednesday. But some time this week I must read Lucado's first.

  posted at 12:39 AM  
  9 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: