Monday, February 26, 2007
Wings Of The Wind
The CWO quote of the week by Nichole Nordeman is:

"If I'd Abandon all that seeks to make my faith informed and chic, could you, would you show Yourself to me?"

There's much to consider about this week's quote, so much that I hardly know where to start. But that tells me it needs to be done. So I'll take it apart and look at it closer.

But before that, I'd like sharing something I found in the Bible about someone needing God's presence. David. It's in Psalms chapter 18, verses 1 through 19. and begins:

"A Psalm of David the servant of the Lord, who spoke to the Lord the words of this song in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.

Verses 1 and 2: David said "I love Thee, O Lord, my strength." "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock in Whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

Verses 3 through 6 tells of David's need for God, and God's response. In verse 6 it says: "He heard my voice, out of His temple, and my cry for help before him came into His Ears".

Verses 7 through 9 show God's coming to rescue David. In Verse 10 it becomes a celestial outpouring of God's universal Power: AND HE RODE UPON A CHERUB AND FLEW; AND HE SPED UPON THE WINGS OF THE WIND."

Verses 11 through 14 shows God's power in sky and water storms.

At God's command,in verse 15: "Then the channels of water appeared, and the foundations of the world were laid bare at Thy rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of Thy Nostrils".

In verses 16 through 18 God completes saving David. Verse 19 ends it: "He brought me forth into a broad place; He rescued me because He delighted in me." God loved David, a man who had sinned greatly, but poured his heart out regretting what he had done. God still loved him! and He loves you! and he loves me!

In talking about whatever "seeks to make her faith informed and chic", the author didn't say If I quit, gave up, or stopped. She used a stronger word, much stronger: "If I'd abandon". That is powerful. It suggests she wants very much to get away from whatever is informed and chic. But in the same sentence she uses a weak word: "if". Because it's so indecisive it gets a lot of us in trouble.

Who it's about is also important. She may feel she doesn't deserve to be in God's presence. This is a good example of how off track we can get, if we don't strengthen our faith by knowing more about it. I believe that's where the "informed and chic" comes in again. I don't know why we sometimes make our Faith journey so complicated. A little prayer and some regular time in the Bible could make that journey such a better one. Instead, because we get sidetracked doing so many things, even in the name of religion, we don't keep precious time for simply being.

Those "things" come in many shapes and sizes, and seem so innocent. I am not against activities in the church. Certainly, some are needed, But today families are rushed, especially two income families. Between Work and home and church and school, and sports and music lessons, and other interests, most families seldom have unhurried meals together. Instead of connecting and strengthening family, They grab fast food on the way to things that keep them informed and chic, but don't allow important time together.

Other things keep this going. A year or so ago a book was written. It became a movie, "The Da Vinci Code". I'm not here to harp on the merits or demerits of it. What is deplorable is the time and money families spend on stuff like this, especially the time.

We need to look at things more carefully. How much time are adults and children in your family reading what books? Which movies or TV programs do they see? Are all the ways you spend your time really necessary?

We need to be concerned about things that would distance us from our Lord. He flew on the wind to be with David, and He's just as eager to be with you and with me.

  posted at 10:50 PM  
  8 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: