Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Treasure Hunting
One after another the evening hours slowed, and left a heavy quiet I didn't know what to do with. Usually I'm eager for the peacefulness of night, but the start of this one felt odd, like being out of step.

This family is busy, and it is scattered. Soon a grandson will go to Japan. With all the flights we make, we should get family discounts. Bev, at Blessed Without Measure will return from her anniversary cruise, and Barb, at A Chelsea Morning will somehow survive her daughter's wedding. Still, it feels strange, not being in touch, and the morning news didn't help.

I had poured more coffee, and turned the news on to a caption that read, "Couple swept off side of cruise ship", and the headline after that said there was an earthquake in Japan, along with a Tsunami. As I compared notes Bev had wisely sent, I took a long breath, and told our Saviour thanks. The cruise accident took place out from New Orleans, and the couple was rescued. I wanted to call family in Texas about the grandson's trip, but saw that his sisters had just done posts. If there'd been quakes where he is, someone would let us know. So far there's been no call, but I'll still feel better when Bev gets home.

Through all that my coffee was getting cold, and as I was reheating it, the telephone rang. It wasn't from the Bahamas or the far East. A church friend wanted to know if I'd go to the women's monthly meeting, and a combined surprise baby shower. I'm not a big party person, so ordinarily I'd have declined. But most anything sounded better than worrying about disasters, so I went. At showers now I guess they don't do marathon diaper changing games, but I would have gone if they had.

On Saturday I went to my son's, the one whose son is in corrections. He earned another pass, so we got to visit some hours. His Dad treated him to a restaurant dinner, the first he's had in about a year. I noticed he ate slowly, to enjoy it more. I took him a book about personal growth, situated in a basketball setting. something he likes. We talked about other books Bev sent to him. The conversation showed he's read them, and is learning from what's inside. Her taking time to send them meant a lot. I think I see good changes in this boy soon to be a man. After our eating out I stayed a while, then left, so Dad and son could have some time alone.

At home I enjoyed hours at my computer. Sunday morning I hurried to get to church. Much to thank Him, much to ask Him. I had a very long list. Our church gets quite lively with the music and song. If you want to know how I feel about it, read the name of my blog again.

The service included a presentation by the pastor who founded and pastored our church many years. He trys to retire, but keeps getting called for more, and this call seems to have come straight from God.

On the pastor's own mountain property he is building the Elijah Ministires. It will be a place where pastors and their wives can steal away awhile to rest, and be refilled for their work that demands so much. Where it's at is so remote cars can't get there. Snowmobiles will take people in. There's no televisions. Distractions like that are left at home. The setting itself invites
one to rest. Jesus gave the example for this when He'd go to quiet places.

Even with the Elijah Ministries presentation, church still let out about the usual time, and I went right home to another social engagement, a picnic in a nearby park with a special little girl. We spread a red checked tablecloth out, and dined on finger foods, pitiful homemade hotdogs, but we didn't care, and cut up veggies and dip, and crackers and cheese, with strawberries for dessert.

The little girl climbed, and ran with other kids, and swung at a ball with her oversized golfing club. It's hard to get serious about such a serious game when your club is bright purple. On the way home we searched for special rocks.

Sometimes I feel like my calendar blocks kind of shift and merge. Sunday night I turned in early. Monday my grandson had group therapy again. It lasts two hours, and family members come there straight from work, so snacks are allowed. But tonight someone changed the rule, so we couldn't take anything in. I realize corrections isn't suppose to be plush, but something that isn't harmful that encourages family support can't be that bad. A counselor told us as soon as she can talk with someone about it, she's getting it straightened out. I cannot say anything other than that about the session, but if you could be there, you'd understand why it's so needed.

Because my grandson's going home soon, many details about it are being pursued. I was glad to learn that some kind of therapy will continue after he gets out. He can never return to being a little boy, but he can start from where he is, and claim his life again.

Barb's still making pretty things for the wedding, besides running a house, and after some days my computer will announce that Bev's home again.

Hopeful things may be pointing to my going back to work. So I'm cramming all the living into these days I can. My son's a rock hound, and we still haven't made time to dig for them. My little friend calls them "sparkles". I love seeing the world through her innocent eyes, where everything's so possible it shines.

  posted at 2:28 AM  
  5 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: