Sunday, December 21, 2008
A Christmas Of Goodwill
For a day that began a little late, it turned out alright. When I'd set the alarm, I somehow made it for p.m. instead of for morning. But I woke up only an hour late, and by hurrying got to church for most of the service. The advent candle was already lighted, and the whole congregation was singing Christmas carols.

I found an empty space, and settled in, as a line of young people took their places at the front of the church, to tell us with singing what Christmas is for. Intermixed with the ancient carols were readings from Matthew about the first Christmas. But even in such a reverent setting, our humanness surfaced when during a short pause in the music, a little voice asked, "Are we done yet?" To which our pastor softly said "No. Not quite".

The children's presentation ended with someone in a red suit and a full beard of snowy white soft looking curls, giving each of the children a Christmas surprise. The curliness of the gift giver's beard reminded me of ribbon one swirls on packages this time of year.

After visiting a little with church friends, I made what I hope will be my last trip to the store til the end of the year. Two things we're changing somewhat about Christmas, are to spend less for presents, and share the food costs. My kitchen time should be much less that I usually spend there. It can't take so long to fix shrimp, or the relish trays and just to be safe, I got more shrimp, and other stuff today, and really good cocktail sauce.

This is the part of shopping I've gotten very good at. My eyes are like radar finding bargains other shoppers walk all around. Three jars of the really good sauce were marked down a lot, so I got all of them, for we'll need it for our size clan.

In the decoration and gift idea section I only needed scotch tape from, for a moment I almost weakened, when I spotted some nicely dressed Santas. I left them where I'd found them.

My next stop was that thrift store I keep telling you about. This year we really are having a Goodwill holiday. Near Christmas, they mark holiday items down to half price. A nicely decorated Santa was just sitting there, waiting for me to rescue him from the discard bin. His curly beard also looked a little like that ribbon I mentioned that's so fun to wrap with.

To be logical, I put back a tweety bird decoration, and a little wooden rocking horse, and some other seasonal thing, that made it come out to the cost of the Santa, a whopping three dollars and fifty cents.

I did fill that childhood yearning to get something simply because I wanted it, and now have a one hour tape called the "Song of Ireland" It says I will see sights and sounds of Dublin, and markets and colorful pubs, and St. Patrick's cathedral, and Kilkenny Castle, and other places too many to mention, all for one dollar.

I also found another great book, "America's Growing Years (1789-1829). I don't know if it has to do with my getting older, or what, but I can't get enough of how our country was born, and developed. I want to know more of her growing up.

One more stop, and I'd soon be home. On my last shopping trip, I found a nativity scene that's a music box. What delights me about it is that Mary is holding Baby Jesus in her arms and lap, and Joseph is sitting there with them. A part of it was loose, so I got some Gorilla glue that should work on it, and my son will fix it.

I had told him about a friend giving me a Christmas tree, to make sure he had one, but his is already up where their cats can't get to it, so I'm sure he wouldn't take it down, and start over. Still, he seemed very interested in getting the other one. Even when he depended on food from a food bank to help them, he would share it with a family of his son's friend. The mother works at a McDonald's for pitiful pay, and has children to feed. I'm pretty sure he is taking the tree to them, which in my mind is what Christmas is really about.

My house is so scattered right now. A few more gifts to wrap, and some cleaning to do, and fixing the foods. Once in a while, when I'm stuck in some long shopping line, my knee hurts enough I just want to sit on the floor and feel bad for myself. But that kind of self-pity lasts only a moment, then I remember why we're doing all this about Christmas.

Before heading to the check out counter, I looked for a few other things, and found a perfectly good backpack that's been hanging there since the last donations came in, and I know someone who will need it.

Remember my telling you how I'm trying to persuade a certain grandson to get going with college? Between my pointing out the advantages of it, and other relatives encouraging him, a week or so ago he and his dad met with a college counselor, and he took an evaluation test. He scored well in all areas, except math, and will get one on one help with it. I can't even tell you how hopeful I am about this.

Instead of lolling in the comfort of what is familiar, even of poverty, this soon to be young man, may just do something well for himself, that can make all the difference. I don't think I'll ever grow out of wishing for at least a small surprise on Christmas morning, but seeing this grandson better himself is more than a gift. It's part of the promise from Jesus, that Hope reigns again, and another reason why we have a little Christmas to celebrate, again.

  posted at 7:58 PM  
  7 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: