Sunday, January 25, 2009
More Pre-Op Activities.
My to-do list grew shorter when I cleaned the bathroom, and set out fresh towels. The Christmas tree in the living room still needed taking down, but I'd had enough of domestic cleaning today, and walked right by it, and out the door. To give myself a reason for ignoring the tree again, I rationalized that since colder weather's coming, I should finish some errands today.

My first stop was Wal Mart, to see if more TV converter boxes arrived, and they had, so that task is done. Some day soon, when it isn't so cold outside, and if a change is needed about the antenna, my son will install it for me.

Since I was still in the store, I shopped for new undies, and wouldn't you know, that department's clerk was clearing and rearranging displays right where I needed to check which kind to get, and this irked me a little because it's hard enough to choose which kind to get with most of them more suitable for guys than for girls, unless you include some advertized as String Bikinis, and that's irritating, too.

I made a sneering comment to the busy clerk that if they keep making them more skimpy, pretty soon we will all be walking around almost naked, when you consider how low females' necklines have dropped. But she didn't seem to be very interested in my comment, nor my next one, when I kind of snarled, "Don't they have anything an old woman can wear?"

Almost all of them were loud jazzy colors, and I didn't plan on worrying about them showing through other clothes. Even a grouchy woman has some dignity. Hanging onto modesty is not easy in this outrageous outpouring of "style". I attributed being less than Miss Congeniality to the pains in my knee and leg, and settled for some solid color Hanes Low Rise Briefs.

Before leaving this aggravating array of next to nothing kinds of underwear, I check nearby rows of pj's, and notice they're looking more masculine too. After digging for sizes, and not finding any I think would fit better than my favorite pair at home, I gave up on trying to decide, and got checked out, and left.

Next stop is the grocery store, and my timing is great, except other customers, some of them, take forever to pick out certain items, leaving their carts blocking reasonable people like me from getting through. Couldn't be me or my attitude, would you think? I throw a few Lean Cusine frozen dinners for only $1.88 each in the cart, and get fresh milk and a few other things.

At home again, I walk past that worn out looking tree I'm so tired of looking at, and know that before this day's over it will be ready to be out of there. I don't even try wrapping and boxing the ornaments tonight, just set them carefully, where they can wait til sometime Sunday.

Even in good things, sometimes lessons can be learned. Lessons like not holding on to how you did things long ago. Just because you feel sentimental about it. When my children were little, and not much money was spent on decorations, I hit on the idea of getting each of them a full box of icecicles to put on our Christmas tree, and they liked having their very own box of them.

When I saw some in the stores this time, because it brought back such good memories, I got a box, and showered the tree with them, and ever since, have been picking them up, and out of the carpet, and still more were hanging on the tree. By the time I got rid of all of them I could, I knew I'd never need to make a mess with icecicles again, to relive my children's early Christmas times.

As I fold up the rest of what's left of this day, I am glad that even though I was irritated in the stores, I didn't throw my grouchiness at others in a mean kind of way. This was only one day, and better ones are coming.

  posted at 1:36 AM  
  20 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: