Saturday, July 12, 2008
"But go and learn what this means......."
A few days ago I wrote about forming new habits, to help get through this long healing time. I mentioned reading Bible verses every morning, beginning with the book of Matthew, and included some old perennials on writing, full of varying perspectives. One of those authors said things like : "Whatever you write will reveal your personality, and what ever you are will show through in your writing." But I didn't didn't take that seriously,reasoning it was only one person's opinion. Anyway, What does our behavior have to do with writing well?

I did get serious about starting a book that for years I've wanted to write, and am up to chapter seven. These long years its rested in my heart, and it's taking some effort to put it into words.I realize that our souls must be nourished with more than everyday stuff, and that is why before I write any part of it, I start each day with a talk to my Lord, and read more of what surely is His favorite book.

I don't know for sure why I began in Matthew, but that's where I'm at. Matthew doesn't dance all over the pages like I do. From his first verse, every line is loaded with fourteen karat golden words we would be wise to heed.

Matthew begins with Jesus' genealogy, then leads right into His humble birth, and from there traces our Lord's long journeys often led by angels, to keep Him alive, while fulfilling ancient prophesy, designed by God Himself, to offer salvation. Reaching even the likes of me, as I sit here trying to understand all that ancient wisdom.

Other human beings have trouble with it, too, especially the legalistic religious leaders of that time. Soon after Jesus ends up in Galilee, in the town of Nazareth, and after John the Baptist's time, He is more visible among the people He's come to save, healing the sick and afflicted, forgiving their sins, and forming His coalition of twelve tax collectors, fishermen, those who work with animal skins, and one may have been a doctor.

Throughout His short ministry, Jesus tried explaining morality by using parables. But the religious of that time, even some of His followers, were so entrenched in their Shalts, and Shalt nots, that little room was left in their hearts for the Saviour.

I am a long way from Nazareth, here in Colorado, reading my Bible dutifully, learning more and more how horrible the Scribes and Pharisees were. Before the end of Matthew, they will help crucufy Him. This is pretty heavy reading. I need a break from it, and drive to the our marketplace SafeWay.

I am hardly in the door when a voice calls my name, saying "Hello there. How have you been?" It's a man I used to work with. He's sitting in an area where customers have their Starbuck drinks. Now or again he comes to this store, and buys his groceries then quietly leaves. Today he's waiting for someone else to do the shopping. When I realized it was him, I barely spoke in return, and kept walking away.I didn't have a real reason to avoid him. I just didn't much like the man.

I get down to the other end of the store, and stand a minute, to rest this ailing leg, and think about what I've just done. Before I came to the store, I was reading in my Bible how the religious leaders and the crowds treated Jesus. It was horrible, But why was I so intent upon seeing only what was wrong and terrible, instead of the message Matthew was written for, that Jesus was sent to earth for me, and all I have to do is treat people like I want to be treated.

I turned my grocery buggy back toward where the man sat, and stopped it near him, and asked how he was, and he began talking like nobody had listened to him for days. I know he likes being active with hometown events, so I asked what civic work he's still doing, He says not much these days, that he's only doing three programs. We discuss the coming election, and discover we're voting for the same candidate. Soon a daughter who helped with his shopping walks up, so we end the conversation, and I walk away.

For him, our talking was probably nothing more than filling empty minutes. but sometimes that's what people need. For me it made clear what Jesus meant when the Pharisees quibbled over our Lord and His diciples eating with tax collectors and the sinners.

It's in chapter nine of Matthew, verses ten through thirteen, where Jesus said "But go and learn what this means", I desire COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE." As I hobbled out of the store, my step felt lighte, and especially my heart. When Jesus said He desires compassion, He meant from all of us, not just those flowing robed Pharisees, and He didn't say it has to be an earth shattering thing that we do, perhaps no more than saying hello. So I'm wondering, is there something to the words of that book writing author that whatever we are will show, in everything we do.

  posted at 10:18 AM  
  7 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: