Sunday, July 22, 2007
But He had High Hopes....
In a post last week about changing the kind of work I'm doing, I somehow got into humming Annie's "Tomorrow", and pretty soon "The Sun'll Come up" part of it tiptoed in and encircled itself, and this whole concept of positivity just keeps growing. So please don't get too upset with yourself if you soon start singing about a rubber tree plant.

"Just what makes that little ol' ant think he'll move a rubber tree plant? Everyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant." I've been really struggling with deciding what to do, whether to leave nursing, and you have to admit that singing even a corny song is better than fretting.

But it's not just this one question I'm troubling myself about. If I were only forty, I'd suspect a midlife crisis, but the odds for that are definitely slim. I do have this problem that I need to decide on, what do I plan to do with myself when I grow up. Children and college students are asked this a lot. But I'm still trying to figure it out. So I turned to the best source for an answer I can find, books, and here they are. They should have all the answers I'll need, or tell me where to find them.

My favorite Bible, The International Children's Devotional Bible,

Write Source 2000, A Guide to Writing, Thinking, and Learning,

and Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love".

Except for the last one, I'm sure I've mentioned them before. This intriguing author describes her book as "One Woman's Search For Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia." It's published by Penguin Books, 2006, and is a paperback, that makes it easier to read in any room you happen to be in.

I chose these three to fill different needs, the Bible, of course to keep washing my soul, and the one on writing, well it's the proverbial what I'd take with me if I knew the rest of my life I'd be on some faraway isolated island. What I'd use for pen and paper there, I'm not sure, and I kind of doubt that remote islands provide modems, but I would want some books that come even close to what Elizabeth Gilbert's written, even if I didn't have computer hookup.

Maybe it's because I'm kind of on a personal pilgrimage, I could relate in more than one vein to this journey she privileged me to take. Her book lists nineteen or more endorsements, but I'll share only two of them here. GQ Magazine said: "Be advised that the supremely entertaining Eat, Pray, Love--a mid-thirties memoir, by the endlessly talented Elizabeth Gilbert--is not just for the ladies, fellas", and Anne Lamott concludes all the fine things said about this writer. "She's jaunty, human, ethereal, hilarious, and God, does she pay great attention to the things that really matter."

Sometimes we may need a picture drawn by a total stranger, to mirror ourselves. While Gilbert is putting on weight from all the fine food in Italy, I'm pigging out from the whole big carton of comforting ice cream when I get home from another nursing shift I'm not wanting to do anymore.

But all it does is make me fat, and still, I haven't decided what to do when I grow up. My soul is in very good hands, but I haven't taken good care of my body. And Gilbert's quest for, what did she call it, balance, equilibrium? I'm pretty sure mine needs some fine tuning, too.

I was reading in the devotional Bible today, about young David getting ready to fight Goliath. Saul put his clothes on David, including a bronze helmet and his own sword. But David took them off. They weighed him down. David met the giant with his own choice of weapon, and in his own way, and we all know how it came out. I must remove what's weighing me down, or I'll never do what my heart knows I want to."But he had high hopes, high hopes, high in the sky, apple pie hopes.....Yeah!

  posted at 12:46 AM  
  4 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: