Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Adjusting The Sails
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails". That's just one of many sayings I live by, but lately feel that I'm not doing it very well. Yesterday I was eager to know that granddaughter, Krissy, and her new born baby girl were both alright after surgery to deliver her.

Finally Barb's email with fresh made pictures arrived. One especially stood out, Krissy holding her child while intently looking at her. Words could not express her birth any better. Moms never forget those first time moments.

Like many others wanting to know about the baby, I had waited and waited. Coffee helped, but I was still wrung out from a trying work shift, which by itself would have been enough to make me eager for some days off, but when I finally walked out to my car to go home, I couldn't get the door of it to open. The lock was frozen. This had happened once a long time ago, so I was prepared, and pulled a cigarette lighter out of my nurses bag, and heated the key before using it, and calmly drove myself home. But when I got here, I couldn't get the car door to lock. And imagine my surprise when I tried unlocking the door to the house. but couldn't get it open. A little stretch beneath it still needs repairing, and I suppose ice had formed there. It took a few swift kicks, hoping I didn't break anything down there, but I finally got it loose, and just in case something screwy like that happens again, there's now a set of tools someone gave me for Christmas in arm's reach in the car.

I was upset that I almost stayed locked out of both the car and the house. By then I wasn't adjusting my sails very well, and even let it carry over some into the next day. Worrying about how I would keep the car locked now until I can get it repaired overshadowed a wonderful day.

I wasn't proud of myself for kicking the door so hard, or some choice words I muttered, but before I went to sleep last night I made my mind up in advance; Today I would behave much better.

I'm sure you understand that some days we may not be filled with enough pep and vinegar, and today was one of them, not a good day for doing serious anything. After I did a few must do tasks in the house, I opened my unlocked car door, and drove straight to a great mechanic I know. He'll fix the car on Friday, so until then I'll just have to depend on my Lord to keep me safe.

I had got in the car and started driving. Two blocks from the house I had to slow more. A dozen or more Canadian geese were hogging the road, and refused to get out of it. Since I had to stop for them anyway, I just basked in their beauty that is always so regal. It was a good reminder to sometime just slow down.

Next stop was a favorite thrift store. I am such an optimist, I keep hoping to find drapes that will fit my huge patio doors. Again though, I didn't, but since I wasn't in a hurry, I took moments to notice what other customers were doing, what kinds of treasures they were choosing.

A young looking Mom with two little girls, maybe 4 or 6 years old had several stuffed toys in their cart. I couldn't help wondering which one of them would claim the big teddy bear.

A young man held onto a pair of lamps that would decorate a bedroom very well. Several people were looking through rows of books, and I joined them. It is always easy to find some I want to take home.

The problem is limiting them to only a few, but when I spotted one, the search was over. Written in the seventies by Richard D Bach, and photographs by Russell Munson, until you read it while traveling miles above the clouds in a plane, you might not get the full impact of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a story". It is dedicated "to the real Jonathan Seagull, who lives within us all". Losing myself in a book like that adjusted my sails better than I could. The car will be fixed soon, and difficult work shifts don't happen often. On the way home all I could think of was turning the computer on, and looking closely again at Nana Barb's Avery Lynn.

  posted at 11:41 PM  
  6 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: