Saturday, January 20, 2007
CWO Quote Of The Week
"You act more like a Christian by your influence on the lost, than the saved people you impress." is the CWO quote to be considered this week. It is attributed to a Dr. Alvin Reid.

I do not believe that the day we became a Christian we set out to so compartmentalize our new life, But I do believe it happens. Much was already in place to ensure that we would. Early on in my life I understood that God loving people attended church, while those who didn't went somewhere else on weekends.

I understand that even the spiritual rebirth of a person may take a little getting used to. Many of our old habits and ways might not be real welcome, or appropriate, at church.

But I also remember hearing at least a swish of arrogance, from those who excused themselves from church by saying it was full of hypocrites, and anyway they could be closer to God in the woods, or on a body of water. That observation is only part of why society is divided into the saved, or the unsaved.

Efforts to reach those we believe are not, are hampered by other factors: Bigotry and racisism, and various ethnic cultures who it seems, set themselves apart from others. This isn't what the handbook on how to treat people says we should do, but it is what often goes on.

When you add people's need for recognition to this, the spirit of nonjudgmental loving and helping others is not addressed, at least not as much as we should.

I don't believe people intend to be like this. But old mores and traditions repeated and repeated, become common practice. So much so that as we're driving to church, we go right past a new neighbor without taking time, or the chance to know them. Sometimes we'll see a person begging with cardboard sign, and without thinking about whether they're cold or hungry, decide they're faking poverty, and don't want a supporting job. We continue to church and extend social courtesies to those more like us, and think of the poor bum no more.

Not that we shouldn't be careful when dealing with strangers. Of course we should, but there are many long standing reputable charities, we could support one of a little not only for a tax write off, but because we really care about some down and out poor human being.

I realize we won't feel great compasion every day of our life. Some days we're too concerned with ours. But this isn't about feelings that bolster our egos, like choir masters praising our songs, or write ups in bulletins noting the good things we've done. It's about the footwork and heart work that Jesus began, and left us a manual telling us how to do it.

In Sunday School we learned catchy phrases intended to encourage attendance; "If you can't come, send somebody" was one. Notice was paid to how many people we invited to church. While this was all for good reason, people we judge unsaved might be more inclined to follow us to Jesus, if how we treat them resembled Him more.

Matthew 25, verses 34-36 (NLT) "Then the king will say to those on the right, come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world, for I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me."..........

Matthew 26, verses 1 and 2 (NLT) When Jesus had finished saying these things, He said to His disciples, "As you know, the Passover celebration begins in two days, and I, the Son of Man, will be betrayed and crucified."

Even then, ceremony was more important to religious leaders than the cry of humanity that needed Him so much. Next time we go to church, let's remember that.

  posted at 11:27 PM  
  8 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: