Sunday, January 07, 2007
Homecoming.
When I woke up this morning I had a choice. Get out of bed, or dig deeper under the covers, and doze a while longer. But taking those extra minutes would make me late for Sunday School, and I didn't want to begin the year that way.

Not only that, I had another reason for showing up on time, and giving all of me I could to the Sunday services. I got so happy just thinking about seeing old friends again, and singing familiar songs. But something more important than that needed to be done. Thanks giving, thanking God for taking care of my son.


Many times last week, child like almost, again and again, I asked for reassurance, and the doctors' comments after surgery seemed to seal it. They weren't concerned about it being Cancer. Gary has a chance to live. So I had some serious thanks giving to do, and I did.

Sunday School was about the life of Jonathan. Interesting, some of the battle tactics they used back then, Simple, but effective. Sunday preaching was good, and the singing so welcome. While in Grand Junction I missed these worshipers and their friendliness, and the songs.

Later we enjoyed a pot luck gathering where we could visit more, and finally, I learned who my Secret Sister was, a very special friend.

Before attending church I had talked with my son, and knew he was allright, and on his way home from the hospital. So, after church I drove more heavily snow packed roads to his place, and we visited a while.

No matter how old a child of yours gets, I think it still is a shock, seeing a long row of sutures on the side of their face. Gary has those, and more, and a drainage tube to deal with, but seems to doing allright with it all. What bothered him most, even though it made pain easier to bear, was that a nerve in the area of his ear was affected by the surgery, and causes numbness.

But he had a good attitude, and then shared some very good news. He said he's quit smoking, and seemed quite serious it's a done deal. He showed me health care stuff from his doctor, and mentioned things the doctor had said, and all I could think as he spoke of it was Thank You Lord, even if you had to scare him to get him to quit!

As you may or may not know, I'm an ex smoker, and could go on and on about it, but will give you a break, and not. Maybe some other time I could write about it more.

Wanting to help, I asked if I could get him anything he needed, and his answer was so humble. I guess I should mention he's six feet, four. Another brother recently put together a computer for him, and Gary's enjoying it, but needs a desk chair. As soon as I can get to stores that might have one that fits him better, I will. Think that would be a better gift than candy, or flowers. Can you see where daughter, Bev at Blessed Beyond Measure, may get her practicality from.

Today I learned two very important things. One, that children can teach us. A friend's little girl told me people need ten hugs a day. If that's so, I'm in very good shape because, number two, I thought a few of the people at church liked me a little, but never imagined how glad they were to see me today. It was just hugs and smiles all over the place.

So listen to what a little child may say, and give a hug or squeeze a hand when you can. If this is what coming home feels like, it would almost be worth repeating the trip.

  posted at 10:30 PM  
  5 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: