Saturday, July 26, 2008
Planning The Day, and a shopping trip.
I feel way behind here, I am way behind here. Yesterday I began the day right. Connected with Saint Matthew before getting into other stuff, and completed his book in the Bible, and added to that by reading more about Levi Matthew in Max Lucado's chapter about him in "Next Door Savior". By the time I did all that, I thought I was ready for whatever the day might bring. I'd received a phone call about a grandson, and planned a shopping trip for him, and hoped before the day was over to write another chapter of my book.

I began my list of errands by checking my bank balance, and while at the bank met a young women so pregnant her belly button stuck out like a watermelon stem.The July day was very hot, and she'd just missed her bus to get to a doctor's appointment. Ordinarily I'd not even talk to a stranger who wanted a ride, but this pregnant person did not need to be walking that far, and especially not in such hot weather. I really couldn't see any way this almost incapacitated pregnant young lady could possibly hurt me. I was more concerned she might go into labor.

When she asked me for a ride, I threw a few rapid questions her way, to decide if she was truthful, and she was, and I drove her to her doctor's office, with her thanking me profusely all the way. It is possible she didn't have bus fare, and I had to leave it up to her to get home after the appointment, but who am I to question or judge. Have I never been stranded, or poor. She obviously had no one to help her. She didn't need me stripping away what little dignity remained.

I hadn't started my special shopping yet, and decided to get a box and wrapping paper first, then found a store packed with excited school kids, and exasperated mothers. There's nothing like a noisy aisle of children, crazy with the glee of a new school year, or their piercing squeals to convince ragged Moms how much they need a certain item. I got what I needed, and got out of there.

Most of what I bought was school supplies. Can you imagine that. The short approved shopping list read: "Phone cards", religious items, stamps, and pens and paper The first thing I chose after the pens and papers was a Bible, an NIA version by Zondervan that's sewn so it lies flat when open. I chose the Burgundy/Tan one because to me it looks more masculine. It's for another grandson who got himself in trouble. This story has a potentially good ending, or should I say, a potentially new beginning.

This is happening in California, so I wasn't there when He finished paying for the wrong he'd done, But his Dad was, which totally surprized him, since family hadn't visited while he was there.

This is the best part of this story, even more than his father being there. A Christian ministry for prisoners goes there regularly, and when someone is released, they are there to offer immediate help, and a continued rehab program that goes on a full year.

The whole idea of it isn't to only save their weary souls, They've already been working on that. They are there to continue the ministry Jesus offered the downtrodden, the hungry, the naked, those in prison; those in need of physical help, and in need of encouragement.

So often (and I've surely been guilty of this) we complain about how America seems headed straight to Hell. The quality of moral values, or the lack of them in our country would point to that. But thank God a religious group in California is steadfastly doing something about it.

This time I'm sending my grandson the Bible, and pens and pencils, and colored highlighters, and a dictionary, and writing pads, and Max Lucado's "Cure for the Common Life" seemed a good place for him to start reading. I can't be with this grandson, but I can do something to let him know I care. Things on my to do list can wait for another day. I have a package to wrap and mail, and I can't wait for the next shopping trip.

  posted at 7:10 PM  
  9 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: