Tuesday, May 05, 2009
Bits And Pieces, And A Holiday, Too.
I hope to share several things with you here. Will see how I do with the leg here at the computer. I am determined to not bore you with ongoing details about it.

A few days ago, after the yard was mowed, I noticed scattered leaves and branches at my front door, and didn't understand why they were there. A closer look explained it. Up high, above the outside light, was an ugly clustering of more small limbs, and even bits of strings or something that might have been pulled from a mop.

Poking out everywhere, It looked a little like an old TV person's outrageous hair style. I think her name was Phylis Diller. On a whim she mussed up her hair and showed it to TV land, and became famous for it looking so bad.

Sometimes I'm slow at figuring things out, Lately I'd noticed more birds hanging around. Even saw one pulling a long earthworm out of the yard. If they'd built their nest farther from the door, we might could live that close together, but I couldn't let it stay at the door. Am not up to crawling over a six foot fence to get in and out the house. Still, I felt really awful, tearing the nest down. So far they've rebuilt it once more, so I think we are in for a battle of the wills. But it's not all bad. At least it's more interesting than this ongoing leg problem.

One might think I'd like and appreciate all this down time, but even that can wear thin. Sometimes I resort to treasure shopping at the nearest thrift store, just to get out of the house. Found an old movie titled: "Andre", I'm hoping my seven year old friend might like to watch with me. It's about a real seal that swam many miles to visit the human family that rescued him when he was an orphaned pup. The story is also about a harbor master's shy nine-year-old daughter. I thought my great little friend might relate to the girl.

Of course I seldom get out of the thrift store without finding more books. Two I found this time are: "A Forgiving God In An Unforgiving World", by Ron Lee Davis, and 'The Grace Awakening", by Charles R. Swindoll. Both of these small books, (about 200 to 300 pages each), appear to be very good for spiritual checkups, something I sure need sometimes.


Speaking of spiritual checkups, I am surprising me with all I'm learning about the Bible, while I have more time for reading it. This still unresolved problem about my leg is sometimes hard to deal with, but far more blessings than complaints come my way because of it. Feelings and emotions sometime wear thin. But God takes care of even things like that. I try to stay upbeat, but sometimes am down, and something will happen, like a stranger holding a door for me, or; like this morning, the phone rang. My special friend is treating me to a "Day of Prayer" program and lunch at our church, and she called to arrange it, and later tonight, one of my great sons called, to arrange a Mothers' Day outing, and included another son so he isn't left out. I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing my children forget about sibling rivalry, and just be nice to each other.

Before the day was over I about felt special, a little like royalty. When I'm eventually over this illness, I seriously intend to do things like that to cheer up others. Sometimes we may not realize how much someone needs it.

I think I am finally understanding how this religious stuff works. Not that I'm an outstanding example. I do get upset at all the bad stuff that's happening in our world, the violence in the news and on TV, and family values attacked almost daily. Having respect doesn't seem to be taught much anymore, certainly not as much as a few generations ago.

These things sadden me, for we are losing something we may never get back. But if we keep replacing the bad with God's Goodness, like friends and family did today for me, we may gain some ground. The next time you are in the marketplace spread a little kindness and see what happens.

  posted at 9:47 PM  
  4 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: