Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Here We Go Again, some old, some new.
If you'd like to know more about type 1 juvenile diabetes, like my great grandson, Cameron has, click on Barb's "A Chelsea Morning", and then from Barb's blog click on other posts and information about this kind of diabetes. By the time I get elderly diabetics at the nursing home, many of them have already had arm or leg amputations.Sometimes it may be a hand, or foot, but it's a difficult way to live their elderly years.

One of the biggest problems in taking care of these patients is their intake of sweets and carbs. The pervasive attitude about food intake is that since they're old, why should it matter. It matters because it helps bring on other problems. They are more likely to get infections, and when they do, it is harder to get them healed. Women patients who are diabetic get more urinary tract infections than those who aren't. It's like everything affects everything. Another side effect is the loss of eyesight.

The best treatment for not developing diabetes, is to eat healthy foods, stay away from, or limit alcohol intake, and get some kind of exercise. Smoking affects how well the insulin works. Our country is in an obesity epidemic because of our fast food way of life. If you'd like to, read the articles or posts I mentioned above about the juvenile diabetes, and more information about the kind I see in nursing homes may be posted later.


But on to less intense subject matter. The surprise brown paper package I sent to my grandson is somewhere between Colorado and California, and with that done, I plunged right in to fight writer's block, and won the challenge, and turned out two more chapters. When a grand daughter writes to encourage: "Stay strong-you were meant for this!" I have to believe it, even if I'm not psychologicaly pumped.

Soon I will go back to work. Everything in me does not want to do this, but I must for a while. So to get myself ready, I mean me, not the uniforms. They've been hanging in the closet two months. I just thought it would help if I let some muscles know they'll be working more, and it's been driving me nuts, not keeping up with the yard, so I got my shiny new garden tools out, and started trimming the dead parts of those early flowers that look like the emblem of France.

A few weeds met their demise in the process, but I wisely saved some of the work for tomorrow. I positioned the spray hose one last time for the evening, and went inside and set a timer. Wanted to get out of my wet clothes,but decided to wait til the last spraying was done.

Looked outside as I headed out the door, and counted eight robins slowly walking around. None of them pecked, as if searching for worms, and none took flight, and then I figured it out. They were doing a summer water dance, and nobody was going to spoil it for them, so I didn't. If there had been a pool for them to lounge in, I think they'd have ordered little umbrella drinks. I learned a lesson from the robins. While I was getting caught up in hurrying to do a certain amount of yard work, they were waiting for the summer water party to start.

Wouldn't you think dragging the waterhoses around to spray the yard counts as exercise. At the rate I'm going, it will take four more days to clear the dead stuff out, and that's about how much time I have, before working some shifts.
I think I'm getting this exercise stuff down well, and when I can make it fit with work's scheduling, I want to water exercise and Yoga. as part of something called the Silver Sneakers program at a rec center. free to.... I can hardly say it out loud, free....to.......... seniors!

  posted at 11:23 PM  
  4 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: