Thursday, July 31, 2008
A Makeover, A New Do.
You've all heard about this soul searching inventorying I've been doing while waiting for a knee to heal. But wait, there's more. This could go on a long spell. In the news a day or so ago I read an article made from interviewing one hundred Centenarians, asking them for healthy aging tips; what they believe best keeps people, not just healthy, but enjoying life more. Their answers were rated for importance, starting at number one, and going down their list.

I won't bombard you with numbers, just give you enough to make their ideas more clear. Number one from 90% of them, is staying close to family and friends, and the next one, 89% encouraged keeping your mind active. Number three, I probably won't have a problem with. It's about laughing, and having a sense of humor. Studies about dealing with Cancer strongly stress relaxing and laughing. including laughing at oneself.

Remember last winter when the lock on my car door froze, and broke, and after having to hop in and out from the passenger side several weeks while waiting for repairs, and watching three hundred dollars slip away for parts and labor, it was sheer luxury getting in and out of the car, like most folks do, until a few days ago.
I did not push it hard. was kind and gentle, but the part inside the car door simply rolled off and into my hand. I didn't say any bad words but I wanted to. Being the practical person I am, I immediately went into survival mode about how to now get in and out of the car. I checked the interior handle again, but it would not budge, then thought, o.k., that's fifty percent. I can walk up to the car and get right in. It's the getting out that's the problem.

Since I've nursed this knee problem two months now, I was not looking forward to climbing over, like I did last winter. To make it easier on the knees I got a pillow and set it on the passenger seat. Twice I climbed out of the car like that. But last week I parked at the grocery store, and before crawling out, suddenly had a light bulb moment. Ah ha, Maybe if I roll the car window down, that's right, all I have to do then is reach out, and open the door from the outside of it.

I stayed in the car a few minutes more before getting out, because I was laughing so hard I was afraid store secutity might think I'm an escaped crazy lady, and come after me with a safety net. I'm not sure which I laughed the most about, figuring out how to get in and out of the car, or having a belly dancing laugh attack, from not figuring it out sooner. Do you think this may be the kind of needed humor this survey is talking about.

Other pointers from these people who are a hundred years old, rate being spiritual in the top five, suggestions, and having a reason to look forward to new days is right up there with religion. Being independent, and interested in what's happening in the world are high on the list, and eating right, and being active pretty much fills the list. These people who have learned how to live, strongly advise us to never stop learning, and they attribute not living long and well to stress, but maintain we can do something about that.

If you can handle a few more stats, 19% of the hundred use cell phones; 12% have used the internet, and 3% say they've dated someone they met online. But they didn't say how young or old they were when they dated, although the ages could go high. A favorite 83 year old uncle wasn't crazy about living alone after my aunt died, so he checked out singles at the senior center, and married a southern lady from New Orleans, Louisiana who was eight'y. Since they both
have lots of money, I assume their relationship is for companionship, and/or romance.

Of course not everybody wants to be married. I found at least one woman written about in "When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple" in a poem called "Warning", by Jenny Joseph.
Because it's so long, I'm not showing all of it here, but enough to share how she feels about getting old.

When I an old woman I shall wear purple.
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
and pay our rent and not swear in the street
and set a good example for the children.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

  posted at 1:56 PM  
  7 comments





About Me
Name: Judith

Location: Colorado

My profile

My Family
A Chelsea Morning-Barb
Relishing My Little Pickle-Leslie
Owl Creek Cottage-Sarah
Sweet Tea and Sass-Bev
In A Moment...-Mandy
Missing Marbles-Krissy
The Gibson Family - Dan & Janae

Favorite Places
A Broad In Athens
Big Mama
Call Me Grandma Dawn
Decipher the Fog
Diane's Page
He Thinks I'm Funny
I'm Thankful for the Thorns
Jungle Hut
Mary's Writing Nook
Overwhelmed With Joy
Over the Backyard Fence
Random Thoughts
Rocking Chair Reflections
Thailand Adventures

Miscellaneous
Add Snippets to your site

Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random



Previous Posts

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by: